New Violet Fog series alert!!! BEAUTY BINDER. Tips and tricks from some of our favorite ladies! I’m asking THEE most dive-deep specific Q’s so we can get all different kinds of perspective and pick up little nuggets of wisdom along the way when it comes to beauty. FUN right? And useful!
To kick it off: I interviewed Mrs. Jyo Shankar– a fashion and travel blogger who is not only a total sweetheart but a SMART businesswoman as well. #BrainIsTheNewAss baby!
Backstory on Jyo: She moved to the Bay Area 9 years ago from Bangalore, India. She used to be in Science where she worked in clinical research at Harvard Medical School.
Today- Jyo is ALWAYS traveling and is big into health and beauty. Constantly sharing her findings. As you can see, she’s a total babe. With killer style to boot. Aka I had to have her on The Violet Fog. She’s even one of the bloggers featured in the Like To Know It book that comes out this month.
Enjoy her interview!!
***VF itself does not use affiliate links- but allows it for contributors. 🙂 Just a heads up!
1. Jyo! You are always traveling for work. AMAZING… but zomg- that can wreak havoc on your skin! I know when I fly, I love a good in flight sheet mask. Are there random things you do IN FLIGHT or RIGHT before you leave for the airport to keep your skin in top shape?
Thanks so much Katey! And yes as much as I love traveling I also love good skin. A few things I do before a flight – a conditioning mask at home at least a day in advance and while in the flight – I rarely wear a lot of makeup and even if I do I always carry wipes to take it off in flight. I then use a facial mist (Kopari rose toner is my fave!), water-based face cream and eye gel (water based is lighter) to keep my skin hydrated. And of course, if it is a long flight I have no shame in wearing a sheet mask! I also make sure to keep hydrated and avoid too much caffeine in flight.
2. What are your go-to beauty travel products that are ALWAYS with you? Like the top three. Why do you love them so much and what do they do for you?
I wrote this blog post on my top 10 travel beauty essentials – but my top 3 would have to be Kopari Lip love (best lip balm ever!), rose face mist (such a multitasker and keeps me refreshed) and the Supergoop mousse sunscreen (because I am often traveling somewhere sunny!)
3. Are there any supplements/vitamins you take that you believe benefit the integrity of your skin?
4. What are your skin insecurities? What do you do to combat them? Anything out of the box that really helps?
5. Are there any kind of beauty trends (i.e coconut hair masks, taking biotin, certain oils) that you DON’T like or have never worked for you?
Any kind of super bold eyeshadow or a funky lip color haha, it never seems to go with my aesthetic so I stay away.
6. What are a couple beauty tips you have picked up from traveling to all these different countries? Anything you found really interesting in specific cultures that you don’t see much of (or at all) here in the states?
I think one of the biggest things I have learned from my travels to other smaller countries is less is more. I don’t wear a ton of makeup so I love to see women embrace their natural beauty. For instance, in my recent travels to Jordan, I learned how the local Bedouin women use the red sand in the desert (which is all natural/unpolluted and has the most beautiful natural shade of rose red) as blush or eyeshadow! I tried it on myself and it looked like the most stunning and natural shade for a cheek tint + it was super longlasting!
Written by your home girls at The Violet Fog