There’s a reason why the Washington Post named Portland, Oregon the number one foodie city in 2015.
Because the food in Portland is freaking BOMMMMMMBBBBB. It even gets the coveted #BombAssDankAss title… which, not every place can get, y’all. Haha
So here’s a little Portland Foodie Guide 2016 for ya. 😉
Plan on gaining a few lbs and not regretting it if you visit. And know this: it’s not just the food that’s earned Portland it’s #1 foodie title last year… incorporated with it is the whole experience this city offers when it comes to food. The decors, the crazy cool hybrids of cuisine they offer… the dedication to presentation! The people! The liveliness! Holy moly if you’re a foodie, YOU’LL LOVE IT. If you’re not a foodie, you’ll love it!
I spent a good amount of time in Portland this past year and it has become by far one of my favorite, favorite cities. I got to visit a lot because a guy I dated lives there (I mean, wasn’t my ex when I was visiting!)… But um, this is kinda awkward for me to write because he showed me most all of these spots. But whatever! Because damn did he know the best places! And I’ve got to share them with you. I really can’t wait to get back to the good ole’ PDX one day.
So I wanted to not only share with you some of the #BombAssDankAss foodie spots I visited, but to make it more official– I also wanted to give you recommendations from a Portlander who I found on Instagram awhile back. This girl is TRUE foodie at heart.
Her name is Nao and goes by @naooh.lala on IG. Seriously… her account is a hidden gem. Like I am just waiting for her to blow up on social media. She is SO cute and the amount of foodie adventures she goes on in Portland makes me so jealous… like every single day. I wish she had a blog because her photos and discoveries are fantastic!
You’ll see her recommendations woven throughout this post. She’s super excited to share these with us. <3 (They are GOOD!)
First off… let’s talk about their donuts.
I’m going to go ahead and say it: Blue Star Donuts and VooDoo Doughnuts 127% live up to the hype. Like Oh. My. Lord. I’m not even a donut person and I PIGGED THE EFF OUT at both places. Both. Back to back days. It was
terrible so wonderful.
1. Blue Star Donuts. My absolute favorite. It’s all industrial feeling in there, super clean, the donuts… oh man… how do you pick? You basically don’t. You just don’t. You get a full box of them and tell yourself there was no other way.
2. Voodoo Doughnuts. The funky decor (Glitter wall! Gaudy inside. Rotating donut thing…) it’s so full of character! And yes there’s a reason why these donuts are world famous. I don’t care if they are touristy! Just try to go on a non-weekend or during the midday when the line isn’t as long. Because there will be a line.
Voodoo Doughnuts (there are two locations, this one in downtown Portland.)
22 SW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97204
Second. Some dinner restaurants that, holy shiz, you will dream about after trying.
1. Andina. Didn’t know how delicious Peruvian food was until… I tasted Peruvian food. And now all I want is Peruvian food. lol. Do not mind my crappy photos though… it was dark. And not to mention, this just isn’t the place to be snapping photos for 20 minutes before you eat. And I actually wanted to enjoy the moment and not be rude either. Yadida? Sometimes foodies take it a litttttle too far. Time and place, you know? But yes… go here! It’s a must. (Plus their drinks are phenomenal. And make sure to make a rez beforehand!)
1314 NW Glisan St, Portland, OR 97209
2. Nong’s Khao Man Gai. Per Nao’s recommendation. They have a restaurant AND a food truck (or two?) And their claim is, “Seemingly simple, but incredibly delicious.” Also apparently chicken + rice is their thang y’all. MmMmm.
3. Hat Yai Restaurant. Two words: SOUTHERN THAI.
1605 NE Killingsworth St, Portland, OR 97211
Third. Sweet treats.
1. Nuvrei Bakery. Ummmm all I gotta say is get the ROSE CROISSANT and thank me later. Portland is the “city of roses”…so, rose croissant… they know what they are doing. 😉 It’s also a cute little spot to sit and read magazines, people watch outside the window…. work on your laptop like I did, whatevs. It’s quiet and quaint and it smells soooo good inside. Like a total nose high for sure. “Nose high” that’s a thing… hehe. PS: The people who work there were always SO sweet too. <— That means something to me!
404 NW 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
2. Cheese & Crack. They refer to themselves a “snack shop” and one look at Insta and you see that they’re known for their “magical” soft serve. (Seriously a lot of people called it “magical”)…. Nao recommends it, so next time I’m there- definitely trying it. And helllllllo if you love cheese- their cheese plate looks wayyyy so good.
Cheese & Crack
22 SE 28th Ave, Portland, OR 97214
Cheers, it’s Friday🍦💫 #softserve#pdx#portland #oregon#cheeseandcrack #tb#latergram#instagood #yummm#🍦 A photo posted by Nao (@naooh.lala) on
Fourth. The brunch spots for those who don’t brunch, but BRUUUUNNNNNNCH. Like a foodie sport. 😛
1. Tasty n Sons. “Innovative American Dishes.” This was the first “foodie experience” I had in Portland and holy crap did it set the bar HIGH. They’re known for their bloody mary’s and hearty, heeeeaaarty brunches. Like you will need to ROLL yourself out of the restaurant you will be so full.
Tasty n Sons
3808 N Williams Ave C, Portland, OR 97227
2. Besaws. This restaurant is SO CUTE. The decor is funky and chic at the same time. And the food is delicious. American comfort food type thing. So again, another spot you’ll literally roll yourself out of. Nao is a big fan of Besaws and I tried it too when I was there but didn’t take any pictures. SO GOOD. So filling.
1545 NW 21st Ave, Portland, OR 97209
3. Maurice. “Nordic-French Fare”… Okay next time I’m in Portland I MUST (must must must) try this spot. The decor is so light and beautiful. The food looks light too- which… I might be wrong. But I don’t think I am. lol. I’ve gone through the IG tags and people seem to rave about it and just love hanging at this spot. I mean look at Nao’s pics… I can see why.
921 SW Oak St, Portland, OR 97205
I love everything about this little restaurant🇫🇷 #pdx#portland#oregon #pdxeats#pdxnow #instadaily#instagood#instalike #instafood#instamood#vscolike #vscodaily#vscogood#vsco #vscolife#vscodaily#vscocam #vscofood#vscogram#vscousa #ポートランド#オレゴン #とにかく可愛いくて美味しい #音楽も素敵 #ご飯もお茶も美味しい #食器も可愛い #お店も可愛い #お茶頼むと鉄瓶で出してくれるよ #鉄瓶好き #コーヒーはお隣のcourierさんから A photo posted by Nao (@naooh.lala) on
Thank you so much to Nao/ @Naooh.lala for being a part of this. Definitely follow her if you love foodie accounts or plan on visiting Portland! Her account is so cheery and really useful if you’re ever in the beautiful PDX!
Next week will be a guide to Portland Coffee Shops… and smoothies… and Boba! You knowww I couldn’t fit everything. Stay tuned! 🙂 + Any added recs?
Katey || INFP || Founder/Director of Violet Fog ||